Explore a beautiful and scenic stretch of the River Dart by canoe, topped off with a gourmet riverside picnic, using food and drink sourced from small independent local suppliers.
The trip starts at 11am at one of two locations depending on weather and water conditions. We use either the stretch of water below the Sharpham estate, leading out to Stoke Gabriel, or the more sheltered stretch running below the Dartington Hall estate. Both locations are known for their natural beauty and bird life. After a very brief introduction to canoeing we set off and paddle for about an hour. The canoeing is gentle and easy going, but enough to work up a good appetite for the sumptuous riverside picnic that awaits you. After the picnic, we paddle for a short time finishing off about 3pm.
Suitable for novice canoeists and food lovers! (Adults and older children only.)
Tuition given and canoeing equipment provided.
Our suppliers include:
- Luscombe Farm Drinks
- Ticklemore Cheese
- Sharpham diary
- The Fish Deli Ashburton
- Riverford Farm
- Ashburton Deli
- Ella's Artisan Bakery
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read
- Start point: We usually meet at Longmarsh Carpark, Totnes, TQ9 5AL Longmarsh carpark is the very last car park downSteamer Quay, by Totnes Rowing Club. You'll need money for the parking meter. End point: Stoke Gabriel.
- Alternative start point: Sometimes we use a different stretch of river - running below the Dartington Hall Estate. This stretch is more sheltered than the estuary and we use it if it is too windy to go out on the more exposed estuary. Meet at KEVICC School boat shed - TQ95LA. Directions to boat shed: Park in Swallowfields TQ9 5LA. Walk to bottom of street and turn right down tarmac track, through 5 bar gate and keep walking about another 100 metres to the shed.
- Times: usually 11am-3pm but may vary slightly depending on conditions.
- What to wear/bring: Wear loose fitting comfy clothes, old trainers/boots (your feet are likely to get wet and muddy!), bring a raincoat if it looks we might have a shower. Water bottle. Sunhat/sunblock if it's going to be hot.
- What's included? Canoe, paddle, life vest, qualified guide, gourmet riverside picnic.
- transport back to your vehicles in Totnes if needed.