Join us for a magical evening on the River Dart! The evening paddle by canoe is an opportunity to slow down, switch gear and experience the natural world on the water as it moves from day to night. The fading light, bird-song, bats, moonlight, dusk. After a short briefing, introductions, and a little canoeing tuition we set off in the daylight and paddle our canoes for a while (usually about 90 mins). Pitching up on the river bank, we'll gather around the fire and sup hot chocolate and eat cake whilst we are entertained by a river tale or two from our on-board story-teller. As the final light is fading we'll then hop back in the canoes and paddle to the finish point (30 mins) where the trip ends about 9.45pm. No previous canoeing experience required.
Please note (especially for returning visitors): We have now switched venue for the evening paddle. It's still the River Dart - just further downstream! The stretch we now use is the tidal stretch of the Dart between Totnes and Stoke Gabriel which is very open and expansive, teaming with wildlife, and rich in natural beauty . We start at Totnes and finish at Stoke Gabriel**. A taxi is provided to take you back to your cars in Totnes (a 15 minute journey). **occassionally, because of tides, we start at Stoke Gabriel and finish at Totnes.
"With the minimum of fuss, Nick enabled us to explore the enticing beauty of the Dart.The shimmering reflections, the sighting of a kingfisher, the ease with which a tasty supper was served from a firebowl & watching the storyteller's face in the firelight as he recounted the very ancient & fearsome myth. Then the silent paddle homewards, feeling liberated by our night eyes ability to follow the silvery pathway between the shadows. Back in the city we will always remember our venture into the owl's domain..Thank you!" (Sheilah - London)
"Thank you Winding River for such an excellent evening trip up the dart!
Canoeing back in the twilight with bats skimming the water and owls silently flying by, after food and storytelling around the fire... I couldnt imagine a better way to spend your evening... when's the next one?" (Joseph - Devon)
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read, even if you've already been on one of these trips as the info has changed.
- Times: The trip generally runs from 6pm-9.45pm but may vary slightly depending on time of year. Please arrive on time because we can’t wait if you are late!
- Start/finish point: We generally start at Totnes and finish at Stoke Gabriel. Occassionally, because of the tidal currents, we switch and begin at Stoke Gabriel finishing at Totnes. Make sure that you turn up at the right place for the trip you have booked!
- Totnes start: Meet at Longmarsh car park TQ95AL. This is the FINAL car park on Steamer Quay road, next to Totnes Rowing Club. Bring cash to feed the parking metre.
- Stoke Gabiel start: Meet at the River Shack car park, Stoke Gabriel TQ96RD. Parking is £3
- What to wear/bring: Wear loose fitting comfy clothes, and a warm top for later on. Bring a raincoat if it looks we might have a shower. FOOTWEAR: Old trainers/boots SUITABLE FOR MUDDY UNEVEN RIVERBANKS. Drinking water, tea, and hot chocolate is provided. See notes about alcohol in the FAQs.
- Cost: ADULT £35 CHILD (under 16) £15
- What's included? Canoe, paddle, life vest, qualified guide, fireside story-telling, refreshments (Tea/coffee/hot chocolate, CAKE!), owl hoots (often but not always) and bat swoops...! Taxi shuttle back to your cars.