A scenic there-and-back traditional Canadian canoe trip on the River Dart with a pub lunch.
Setting off with the outgoing tide, we leave the town behind us and join the peaceful expanse of the Dart Estuary, with its thick wooded banks, and sparkling water. This is a beautiful and wild stretch of water with abundant wildlife, where you are likely to see many different birds, and often seals as well. We stop for lunch at one of the riverside villages of Stoke Gabriel, Dittisham, or Tuckenhay, where you can find great food in the local pub or cafe (see menus below), or if you prefer, you can always bring a picnic. If you're bringing your kids with you, they might want to try their luck with a crabbing line from the jetty. As the tide turns we'll jump back in the canoes and head back to the start point where the trip finishes in the late afternoon/early evening.
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read
- Meeting point: Longmarsh carpark - NB this is the FINAL car park on Steamer Quay Rd, by Totnes Rowing Club. TOTNES, TQ95AL. You'll need money for parking meter.
- Occasionally we begin and end at Stoke Gabriel, River Shack TQ96RD. Make sure you go to the right place for your trip! The start/end point is indicated when you select your date.
- Timings: Usually 10am-4.30pm but varies somewhat according to tides - MAKE SURE to check the correct time for your trip.
- What to wear/bring: Wear loose fitting comfy clothes appropriate for the weather conditions. Bring a raincoat if it looks we might have a shower. FOOTWEAR: Old trainers/boots SUITABLE FOR MUDDY UNEVEN RIVERBANKS.Picnic lunch and enough snacks for the day (or some money if you plan to eat lunch in the pub/cafe). Water bottle. Sunhat/sunblock if it's going to be hot. Crabbing line and bait? Binoculars?.
- WEIGHT LIMIT: Sorry but our canoes are not suitable for people who weigh in excess of 16 stone (100 kg) as they may tip over! If you are over this weight limit but already have some canoeing experience and feel confident then we're ok with that!
- What's included? Canoe, paddle, life vest, qualified guide.
- Price: ADULT £40 CHILD (under 16) £20