(Scroll down to see available dates for this trip)
The max. group size for this trip is 6 people, or two 'bubbles'.
Anyone can join. Scroll down to see dates available.
Private bookings can be taken but ONLY for ready-made groups of 6 or more people (i.e. you know at least 5 other people who want to canoe with you).
This trip begins in the sheltered picturesque harbour of Stoke Gabriel where we'll have a chance to practice some basic canoeing skills before we venture out into the wilds of the Dart Estuary, with its thick wooded banks and sparkling water. Journeying up river for an hour or so before pulling up for a brew and some sustenance (BYO picnic). We'll be paddling the stretch of water running by the Sharpham Estate which is known for its serenity, natural beauty and bird life. After a relaxing riverside break we'll make our way back to Stoke Gabriel where the trip ends.
- Total time : about 4 hours
- Two or three people to a canoe (depending on size)
- You will NOT be asked to share a canoe with someone who is not from your family or bubble. For this reason we cannot take bookings for single people.
- All equipment, and qualified river guide provided.
- BYO picnic
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read carefully
- Start/finish point: Meet at the River Shack car park, Stoke Gabriel TQ96RD. Parking is £5.
- When you arrive, park your car and look for me down on the foreshore with the canoes.
- Timings: The start/end time varies according to tides - MAKE SURE to check the correct time for your trip which is indicated when you book.
- What to wear/bring: Wear loose fitting comfy clothes appropriate for the weather conditions. Bring a raincoat if it looks we might have a shower. FOOTWEAR: Old trainers/boots SUITABLE FOR MUDDY UNEVEN RIVERBANKS. BYO picnic, Water bottle. Sunhat/sunblock if it's going to be hot.
- WEIGHT LIMIT: Sorry but our canoes are not suitable for people who weigh in excess of 18 stone (114 kg) as they may tip over! If you are over this weight limit but already have some canoeing experience and feel confident then we're ok with that!
- What's included? Canoe, paddle, life vest, qualified guide. Refreshments.
- Price: ADULT £40 CHILD (under 13) £20
COVID NOTES: Canoeing on the Dart estuary is obviously a fresh air activity! In this outdoor environment the risk of infection from Covid is deemed to be exceptionally low. To be extra safe we are asking customers to respect social distancing whilst on the river bank and on the water.
You will only share a canoe with those you have booked with and will not be asked to share a canoe with anyone not in your family unit or 'bubble'.
Because of this we cannot take bookings for single people as the canoes need 2 or 3 people to paddle them.
Your canoe paddle and life vest will have been cleaned after the last person used it.
Please clean your hands on arrival with the hand-sanitizer provided. Do not touch any of the equipment until you have done this.
Obviously, do NOT attend if you have suspect symptoms or know that you have recently been in contact with anyone with symptoms.