A scenic there-and-back traditional Canadian canoe trip on the River Dart with a pub lunch.
Setting off on the tide, we leave the town behind us and join the peaceful expanse of the Dart Estuary, with its thick wooded banks, and sparkling water. This is a beautiful and wild stretch of water with abundant wildlife, where you are likely to see many different birds, and often seals as well. We stop for lunch at one of the riverside villages of Stoke Gabriel, Dittisham, Sharpham, or Tuckenhay, where you can find great food in the local pub or cafe (see menus below), or if you prefer, you can always bring a picnic. If you're bringing your kids with you, they might want to try their luck with a crabbing line from the jetty. As the tide turns we'll jump back in the canoes and head back to the start point where the trip finishes in the late afternoon/early evening.
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read
- Start/finish point: We start and end this trip from various locations depending on the times of the tides. Your trip will start and end at either Totnes or Stoke Gabriel. Our lunch stops are either Stoke Gabriel, Sharpham, Dittisham, or Tuckenhay. Please check the start point for your trip and make sure that you turn up at the right place for the trip you have booked! The start/end point for your trip is indicated when you select your date.
- Stoke Gabriel start: Meet at the River Shack car park, Stoke Gabriel TQ96RD. Parking is £3.
- Totnes start: Meet at Longmarsh car park TQ95AL. This is the FINAL car park on Steamer Quay road, next to Totnes Rowing Club. Bring cash to feed the parking metre.
- Timings: The start/end time varies according to tides - MAKE SURE to check the correct time for your trip which is indicated when you book.
- What to wear/bring: Wear loose fitting comfy clothes appropriate for the weather conditions. Bring a raincoat if it looks we might have a shower. FOOTWEAR: Old trainers/boots SUITABLE FOR MUDDY UNEVEN RIVERBANKS.Picnic lunch and enough snacks for the day (or some money if you plan to eat lunch in the pub/cafe). Water bottle. Sunhat/sunblock if it's going to be hot. Crabbing line and bait? Binoculars?.
- WEIGHT LIMIT: Sorry but our canoes are not suitable for people who weigh in excess of 18 stone (114 kg) as they may tip over! If you are over this weight limit but already have some canoeing experience and feel confident then we're ok with that!
- What's included? Canoe, paddle, life vest, qualified guide.
- A note about weather: Trips are occassionally cancelled due to adverse weather (heavy persistant rain and/or strong winds). We aim to give you at least 24 hours notice if we have to cancel your booking due to foul weather. In this situation you will be offered an alternative date or refund.
- Price: ADULT £40 CHILD (under 16) £20